Tuesday 11 May 2010

Volunteers


I have been volunteering at the cancer clinic for over a year now. I don't do much, I just take photographs, I just dedicate some of my time to them, for something I enjoy doing anyway. It is true, that I usually come quite emotionally drained from their events... You see, a part of me is a photographer. I look around... I look people in their faces, in their eyes.... I look at the way they move... I notice things... Sure, I don't notice everything, but I might notice more than many. But anyway, this was not supposed to be an entry about me, but about the other volunteers there. They do the hard work. They talk to patients and comfort them... they try to keep their mind away from the illness and on anything else basically. And that is the hard thing. You need to be empathic enough to actually care and want to help, but if you are too empathic, you will suffer greatly. Not everything is depressing though. They organise events where people come to entertain them (bands, dancers, comedians...so if you are one of them and want to participate let me know) and they sometimes make such teddy bears together with the patients...(and other things). I don't know... I guess my message for today is do a good deed once every now and then... doesn't matter what, just something... a small thing is enough.

2 comments:

  1. iiiiiiiii, thank you SunĨan. You are our teddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But the teddies should be knitted! Next time I'm in town.
    And thanks for that work. It means a lot.

    ReplyDelete