Wednesday 5 May 2010

Urban Ballet


Another day in which I did something I don't usually do. I took photos during an actual dance performance. This of course hindered me in a number of ways. One was - I could not move. I sat on a chair (luckily I did get a place in the first row) and took all the photos from that very chair. I even tried not to twist and twirl my body to much so I would not disturb the people around or behind me. The second problem is that as I have got an SLR, you can not turn off the sound - the shutter actually opens and shuts (yup, just like in the good old days)and moves the mirror and all this mechanical movements produce some sounds... So I only took photos when there was loud music, or on a few occasions I followed the beat and pressed the button on the beat (if the music was quiet). I also did not take that many photos... But I did have moments where I thought: 'If only I could stand over there, or on the stage, or behind them, or right next to them (depending on the situation) and if I had a bit better equipment... what a photo it would be. In the break I was talking to a friend of mine who works in short films and while discussing the possibilities came to the perfect picture. But as there were no possibilities to actually take it, it just remained an idea stuck in our heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment