Wednesday 13 October 2010

What's wrong with this photo?


The photo itself is OK. It is what it depicts that is wrong... I know that most of my photos are, you know, what I would call 'nice' photos - photos from concerts, plays, dance performances, art shows, nature... things that are in reality in the reach of a selected few... but the truth is that there are millions of people out there who will probably never go to a dance performance, or to whom the theatre is merely a distant memory of their childhood, or who turn up at an exhibition opening just to get a bite to eat...
Now I don’t know where you live. But in the country I live things are certainly turning for the worse. Faced with the global recession the government of this little country decided to do what it does best. Put pressure on the little people, which usually means people like you and me. But some are not as good at jumping over the obstacles that life throws at them, some have just plainly ran out of luck, some decided this is the easier option, some escaped into alcohol or drugs, while some of us have no idea that this is waiting for us somewhere down the line … It is often much too easy to look away and say: ‘It is their own fault.’ ‘They should not have got drunk every day.’ ‘Their life, their choice, their problem.’ And yes, sometimes this is the case. Sometimes it is their decision. But sometimes it is not. And don’t punish all…
I will stop here because I do not wish to bore you all with my ramblings that could go on for another few lines, pages, blogs… who knows… All I want you to do is to next time imagine that this person is your child, parent, brother, best friend from primary school, or maybe even you… think for a moment before you walk on…

No comments:

Post a Comment