Thursday 24 February 2011

I like to move it, move it...


The dance festival started. And you all know how I love to take photos of dance performances... But I like it most when I can come to the dress rehearsal or a run through... Yesterday I was allowed to take photos during the performance itself (at my own discretion – which means that I sit in the front row, and no jumping around, and I only take photos when the music is certain to be at least thrice as loud as my camera…)… And you wouldn’t believe how many times I was sitting on the edge of my seat, seeing all those wonderful movements that could have been caught on err, well, ‘film’ and not wanting to squeeze the trigger so I would not disturb the other viewers… It is a really strange feeling… you are so close to being able to do something you really love, and yet so far… It is almost like when you are a teenager and you fall hopelessly in love and you befriend the girl because you reckon ‘at least I can be close to her’ and you spend a lot of time with her (which makes you feel good) but you want to touch her or kiss her all the time (which makes you feel anxious)… (or was that just me?)

(Anyway, I was sitting next to professional photographer and the two of us had the same attitude as to when to take photographs, but on the other side of me sat an elderly guy, for whom I can only assume that he was a proud father of one of the dancers, as he never stopped taking photographs… and you could hear the click, click, click of the shutter all the time… well except during one part of the performance, which was performed in silence and you could only hear the dancers’ bodies (and which by the way was a part from which excellent photos could be made…)

No comments:

Post a Comment