Wednesday 22 February 2012

Emzin 2012


I have no idea how many years this competition has been taking place, but it has certainly been a few. And even though I know that their attention has been drawn to this, they are still persistantly in search of a photographic opus (which is in Slovenian used to denote the life work of somebody) that has been created over the past two years (which is fine if your life work does not span for more than 2 years) . And to really baffle the viewer their new (at least I think it is new) trick is that they demand an opus consisting of between 3 and 10 photos, but in numerous cases they fail to exhibit the entire series (which makes me think that they are not really interested in a series). To me that seems similar to setting out to buy a car, but settling for an airbag, because it looks fun and useful. I think they should stick to it: If you are looking for a series and a series does not work, than you can not exhibit a fragment of it. Or - and I know this is a novel (and revolutionary) idea - rewrite the competition rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment