Wednesday 19 May 2010

Demonstrations


These demonstrations seemed to have raised great discussions in Slovenia. So here is a very quick recap of how I saw them. First of all, I have no idea how many students and pupils where there at the beginning of it all. When I was approaching I saw masses of them moving away from the parliament... and when I say masses I mean masses... The main street was shut and full of people moving away. When I came to the parliament there were still quite a few people there and yes the majority looked like students or pupils... But then the majority also seemed to be merely observing and chatting (and yes, of course some were drunk - but was that not the case at all the demonstrations we attended when we were pupils or students?). But then there were some people who did not look like students or pupils (no I do not have in mind photographers and other news reporters) and they seemed to be the loudest and most aggressive (Ok I did see two drunk girls who looked like pupils and they seemed rather agitated by the police and threw some eggs in their direction). But anyway, I have been to quite a few demonstrations in my life, mainly anti-war and social rights and similar, but these were the first I did not feel safe at. And somehow I am not sure whether this was all down to the students and pupils (nor was it down to the police may I add).

No comments:

Post a Comment