Tuesday 5 October 2010

Volunteering


Whatever the reason behind their act, volunteers seem to come from a different world than most. In this cash (and much too often survival) ridden world there are still some people who care enough to do something and not just watch TV or drink beer with their friends. And no, it does not mean you have to dedicate your life to this. You can just do your bit. I would love to make all these people healthy again, but it is not in my power. As much as I dreamed I would be a mad scientist when I was young and find the cure for more or less all illnesses (except for maybe I-don't-feel-like-going-to-school-today-initis) as well as make some other really important discoveries in physics, chemistry and who knows what else, I am not even close to that today. I would also like to entertain them, but I guess I had to let Robbie do that, as he did ask so nicely (even though this is not one of his best songs) or, as in this case, Pižama. They are much better at entertaining people. So I do my bit, a bit I actually enjoy. Yes, even on a rainy day, when I come there soaking wet. I take photos. And even if this will not make them healthy, when they see them they can stop thinking about their illness for a second and hopefully it also encourages other entertainers to come...
And yes, taking the risk of sounding old-fashioned and old, I will paraphrase an old English saying: A good deed a day, keeps the misery away. (It does make you feel a bit better about yourself and the world you live in, and it certainly makes the person you helped feel better...)
Ok... I better stop now!

No comments:

Post a Comment